General Admission Requirements
The Bachelor in Visual Communication and Product and Industrial Design (exception: Design Management, International) are taught in German. Knowledge of German adequate to this level of study is mandatory. A good knowledge of English is also advantageous, since international lecturers teach parts of the course.
A registration fee of CHF 200.-- will be charged and must be paid in full prior to submitting your application. You may pay your enrolment fee using a PostFinance Card (debit card), TWINT, a credit card (Mastercard or VISA) and PostFinance Mastercard® Value.
It is possible to register for TWO different Bachelor courses. If you wish to do so, you must complete the online registration process in full, TWICE, and hand in separately for each course a portfolio and anything else requested.
Admission requirements for the Bachelor’s programme in Design
The following degrees and additionally required achievements fulfil the admissions criteria:
- Federally recognised or equivalent academic baccalaureate plus a one-year art foundation course / remedial course or placement year (or longer) in a field related to the specialisation
- Federally recognised or equivalent professional vocational education with a vocational baccalaureate in a field related to the specialisation (in addition, the one-year art foundation course / remedial course or a placement year (or longer) in a professional setting related to the specialisation is recommended)
- Federally recognised or equivalent professional vocational education with a vocational baccalaureate plus a one-year art foundation course / remedial course or placement year (or longer) in a field related to the specialisation
- Completion of a specialised school with a specialised baccalaureate plus a one-year art foundation course / remedial course or placement year (or longer) in a professional setting related to the specialisation
- as well as, in any case, language skills in the language of instruction that are commensurate with the level of education
Applicants to all specialisations of the Visual Communication as well as Product and Industrial Design programmes (with the exception of the Design Management, International programme) are also required to pass an design/art-related aptitude test.
In exceptional cases, the admission requirements may be waived if a candidate has displayed exceptional artistic talent. Applicants must provide evidence of their previous course of study.
The admission procedure is divided into two parts. After registering (before the deadline!), applicants submit their documents, a portfolio and a work assignment realised on a set theme. In the event of a positive decision, they are invited to attend an interview. Applicants to the Bachelor in Illustration are additionally invited to a practical examination day.
Decisions on the outcome of the admission procedure are sent out by email. We therefore require a valid email address from each applicant.