Why enrol for MSc in Real Estate at the Lucerne University of Applied Sciences and Arts?
- Thanks to regular intensive weeks abroad, you will gather international experience and have the opportunity to connect with industry experts from around the world.
- Lectures take place in a personal setting. This greatly contributes to a high-quality study programme.
- You will be able to pursue paid work of up to 2.5 days per week.
- We encourage lateral entry! Our unique programme also caters to interested parties without prior education in Real Estate Management.
- With us, you have the chance to obtain a second degree during your studies. The programme also has close ties with the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors RICS: an ideal way to lay the groundwork for RICS membership.
The Master of Science in Real Estate is the highest degree in the real estate industry and is only offered in Switzerland at the Lucerne University of Applied Sciences and Arts.
- Field of activity
English C1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages
- Application deadline
1 April for applicants requiring a visa 30 April for Swiss and EU/EFTA applicants
- Commencement of studies
Mid September (calendar week 38)
- Semester dates
Autumn semester: mid September to Christmas (calendar weeks 38 to 52)
Spring semester: mid February to end May (calendar weeks 8 to 22)
- Language of instruction
- Student counselling
- Head of studies/Study coordinator
- Study fees
Enrolment fee: CHF 250
Semester fees: CHF 800
Studies budget – real estate
For further information on «Financial Matters» please click here.
- Place of study
- Duration of studies
- Time model
- Academic and practical relevance
As an attractive option for holders of a bachelor's degree from a university level institution, the Master of Science in Real Estate, a MSc degree, provides a academic, research-based, practically oriented and internationally aligned specialist education in real estate.
- Teaching and training culture
The course includes a combination of contact study, supervised self-study and self-directed learning. Professors, well-versed in theory and with a wealth of practical experience, are on hand to ensure that students receive the appropriate blend of theory and practice at master's level.
- Cross-disciplinary modules
The MSc in Real Estate sets great store by practical education. That is why the MSc RE is in close contact with practice partners, which increases the programme’s appeal.
The curriculum offers a healthy mix of practical content and scientific topics. In the applied modules, students can expect lecturers and partners with close ties to practice. Apart from lecturers, there will be several excursions during which industry experts provide valuable insights.
The MSc in Real Estate programme focuses on practical and research-based knowledge in the real estate sector.
Among other things, the programme equips graduates with the following skills:
- Ability to understand and explain key drivers and influencing factors for the real estate sector based on theoretical principles, and to profoundly analyse and assess their interdependencies at a micro and macro level.
- Ability to understand the interaction of strategy, structure and culture based on an in-depth investigation of theoretical concepts and empirical findings.
- Ability to develop and evaluate conclusions and strategies for real estate firms and business units in charge of real estate management.
- Ability to apply and understand advanced methods for the evaluation and steering of risks associated with real estate firms with specific use for the steering and monitoring of risks and for value management.
- Knowledge and mastery of the key influencing factors and decision-making approaches for investment decisions in the real estate and financial markets and ability to apply them for different real estate-related investments.
- Understanding of alternative investments and structured products as relates to the risk and yield of portfolios based on the latest research results. Ability to develop sound investment strategies and to analyse and assess such strategies using state-of-the-art methodologies.
- Mastery of advanced real estate management concepts and ability to apply them to address complex challenges associated with the real estate management and investment of companies as well as the ability to develop and implement practical solutions.
- Profound understanding of marketing and process management concepts in the context of real estate firms and ability to develop and implement bespoke and sustainable segmentation concepts, e.g. in the field of product placement or project development.
- In-depth knowledge of leadership theories and methodological basics of self- and employee management and ability to apply them in a situation-appropriate, human and goal-centred way for self- and team management purposes; awareness of the psychological and ethical aspects of collaboration.
- Profound understanding of qualitative and, more importantly, quantitative methods of academic work and ability to apply them in real-life cases taken from a real estate environment.
«The MScRE is an extremely versatile and diversified Master's programme. Great importance is attached to the theoretical and practical combination of Real Estate and Banking & Finance topics. In addition, the curriculum is enriched with a multitude of international interactions and experiences. I regard the MScRE as a profound education that opens the door to the real estate and banking & finance industry for graduates.»
Timo Hänni, Graduate Trainee Program – Vontobel
«The Master of Science in Real Estate is a unique opportunity to examine the methods of the real estate industry and its current market situation. The program offers a variety of financing methods designed not only to familiarize students with the real estate market, but also to become acquainted with other financial instruments and their mutual effects. The opportunity of the second study program at Lingnan University in Hong Kong majoring in International Banking and Finance is highly valuable for getting to know the entire financial market and its international implications. Excursions to foreign real estate markets and their current market situation are another great benefit of this programme.»
Leoni Esra Hercher, Fund Analyst, Real Assets, AXA Investment Managers
«The Master's programme offers an ideal starting point for gaining a foothold in the versatile and complex world of real estate. All aspects of the real estate business are conveyed in a sustainable manner, so that a solid specialist knowledge can be developed.»
Lukas Manuel von Rotz, Senior Consultant, Team Leader & Project Partner, Drees & Sommer
MSc in Real Estate graduates have excellent and varied job opportunities in the real estate sector.
Former graduates hold positions on key strategic positions in companies across the real estate industry with special emphasis on the area of management, investments and funding. They most commonly find employment in these fields of activity:
• Mutual funds/investment funds/private equity
• Real estate PLCs/REITs
• Pension funds/insurance companies
• Retail banks/real estate banks/ investment banks
• Financial services providers
• Real estate asset management firms
• Consulting firms
• Asset management firms
• Financial consultancy firms
• Accounting firms
• Financial divisions in companies across industries
• Public institutions
• Real estate project development firms
The Careers Service of the Lucerne University of Applied Sciences and Arts offers advice, CV checks, contact meetings and much more to help students to launch a successful career after graduation.
Amission and enrolment
Admission requirements for the Master of Science in Real Estate.
In order to be admitted to the Master of Science in Real Estate, you need the following qualifications:
- Completed Bachelor’s programme
- At least 24 ECTS in the area of real estate, business, management or finance (the Lucerne University of Applied Sciences and Arts offers online courses to earn missing ECTS).
- Ability to follow English-taught instruction at university level (skills at C1 level for literature and, potentially, presentations*)
- High degree of motivation and commitment
We encourage lateral entry: it’s your motivation that counts! Describe in a motivational letter why you are interested in attending our Master's programme. This is followed up with a personal conversation during which we discuss any open questions about the programme.
Learn more about the application and admission process here.
*English language skills (at C1 level) may be proven with a recognised certificate (IELTS, Cambridge English), prior attendance of an English-taught degree programme, international experience or through a personal interview.
Working in Switzerland
When accepting a job in Switzerland, it helps to be proficient in one of the official languages (German/French/Italian). Many companies communicate in the official languages —especially internally. The Lucerne University of Applied Sciences and Arts offers free language courses to its students.
Working while studying for students from EU-27 and EFTA countries
Citizens from EU-27 and EFTA countries have the right to work while studying but must register it with the relevant authorities. However, studying must remain the main purpose of their stay. Learn more here.
Working while studying for students from other countries
Citizens of non-EU-27/EFTA countries who are in Switzerland to study need a permit to be able to work. Studying must remain the main purpose of their stay. There is an upper limit of fifteen hours per week for paid work. Moreover, students from these countries may only start working at least six months after the beginning of their studies in Switzerland. Learn more here.
The Careers Service of the Lucerne University of Applied Sciences and Arts offers advice and support to students wishing to start a career. Their services include a mentoring and coaching program, career fairs, networking events and various other events. They also have a jobs portal advertising interesting full- and part-time jobs suitable for students.
Smart-Up aims to motivate students and to empower them to pursue their business ideas, to bring them to fruition and to found their own start-up company. Students with entrepreneurial ambitions are given support in the form of personal coaching sessions and advice, infrastructure, matching with other students and external stakeholders, as well as workshops and events.
Competence Centre for Real Estate IFZ
The Msc programme is offered by the Competence Centre for Real Estate of the Lucerne University of Applied Sciences and Arts.
The purpose of the Real Estate Alumni Association is to organise excursions, interesting talks, presentations and discussions as well as social gatherings with former graduates of the MSC in Real Estate programme. The Alumni Association also serves as a platform for the exchange and the fostering of networking between its members.
Learn more about the Alumni Associations’ past and upcoming events in this LinkedIn group: MSc Real Estate Alumni HSLU
In addition to its degree programmes, the Lucerne University of Applied Sciences and Arts offers various other services to its students.
The Language Centre of the Lucerne University of Applied Sciences and Arts offers foundational and advanced language courses that complement the curriculum of the Msc in Real Estate. The courses are free of charge for students at the Lucerne University of Applied Sciences and Arts.
In the Tandem programme, students from abroad are assigned a Swiss tandem partner. It is up to the students what they make of this partnership. The partnership helps them to learn more languages and get to know new cultures. International students therefore have the opportunity to connect with a Swiss student who will be able to show them the region.
The three Lucerne-based universities offer a wide range of sports activities to their students, employees and alumni. This programme brings together students with their peers in many different sports.
The University of Teacher Education Lucerne, the University of Lucerne, the Lucerne University of Applied Sciences and Arts jointly offer a range of interdisciplinary modules. Covering subjects ranging from culture to business, engineering, law, politics and ethics, the ISA-Modules are designed to foster collaboration across specialisations and to expand the students’ horizons.
To strengthen personal coping strategies and to discover (often untapped) potential, Campus Lucerne’s Psychological Counselling Service provides psychological support and advice for its students.