Switzerland ranks among the most important commodity trading hubs in the world.
On this website, you will find answers to the following questions:
What is the content of this continuing education programme?
Commodity specialists acquire profound knowledge of the commodity industry and its environment in a relaxed learning environment. Highly renowned guest lecturers share specific knowledge and skills relating to their everyday professional practice, combining theoretical knowledge with essential learning experiences. The language of instruction is English. (Link to the German version) Moreover, you will learn to better understand complex environments, partners and customers. This course lays the foundation for a specialist or management position in the commodity industry, both in Switzerland and internationally. Core topics include commodity trading, investment and extraction as well as energy, oil trading, risk management, shipping, transport, trade financing, strategies, value chain and geopolitical dynamics.
This practical commodity programme is a cooperation between the Lucerne University of Applied Sciences and Arts (HSLU), the Commodity Club Switzerland (CC), SuisseNégoce and the Zug Commodity Association (ZCA).
What kind of certificate will you get?
Upon completion of the course, you will obtain the Commodity Professional Certificate of Advanced Studies Hochschule Luzern/FHZ.
What is the target group of this CAS programme?
With this future-oriented programme is primarily aimed at
- specialists and executives from commodity companies wishing to expand their industry-specific knowledge
- employees and managers from service companies within the commodity sector, including auditing, law, transportation, risk and insurance firms
What are the goals of the CAS programme?
The main goals of the programme are
to give you in-depth knowledge of the commodity sector and its characteristics and to give you the skills to better understand your clients and to effectively use your knowledge and experience.
What are the admission criteria?
In order to be admitted to a CAS, DAS or MAS programme, prospective participants must have a tertiary degree from a university-level institution or a higher vocational education programme. Holders of a university-level degree must have two or more years of professional experience, while people with a higher vocational degree must have two or more years of professional experience in a field of activity relevant to the continuing education programme they wish to attend. The language of instruction is English. For this reason, it is essential that your language skills be at a level that allows you to follow the classes, to read and understand the course material and to converse in English. If you have any questions concerning admission to the programme or other course-related issues, please get in touch with the head of programme - Ramon Garcia.
How can I take part without having to complete a major course assessment?
The CAS Commodity Professional program or selected modules now extend their reach to qualified individuals without a tertiary degree. This expansion aims to make the program accessible to a wider audience.
Details of the Extended Access:
- Target Group: This offer is designed for individuals who have a strong interest in commodity trading without having a diploma on tertiary level.
- Course Content: Participants will have access to the same high-quality modules and learning materials, led by our esteemed lecturers.
- Certification: Instead of the CAS certificate, participants will receive an official certificate of participation from Hochschule Luzern.
- Examinations: No exams will be conducted, allowing for a focused and practical learning experience.
- Costs: The course fees are reduced by 10% for a participattion without completing the course certificates.
- Registration and Further Information: Interested individuals can register directly via our website or contact the program director for more information. The program director will make decisions regarding admissions to the course.
What is the structure of the programme?
The programme consists of six modules
- Fundamentals of commodity trading and of the geopolitical dynamics
- Commodities in the value chain
- Shipping and transport
- Trade financing
- Fundamentals of risk management
- Legal aspects of risk management
Where does the programme take place?
The Commodity Professional CAS programme takes place in Rotkreuz.
The Institute of Financial Services Zug IFZ is located in immediate proximity of Rotkreuz train station in the Canton of Zug.
Lucerne School of Business
Institute of Financial Services Zug IFZ
Campus Zug-Rotkreuz, Suurstoffi 1
Phone: +41 41 757 67 67
The IFZ is easy to reach by public transport. We schedule our course hours around the train arrival and departure times. Trains operate all day between Zurich and Lucerne. It takes less than five minutes to walk from Rotkrez train station to the IFZ. Find your train connections here.
What are the programme dates and times?
There are three days of classes per month
- Thursday: 09:45 to 18:00
- Friday: 08:20 to 17:50
- Saturday: 08:20 to 12:35 (Rotkreuz)
What is the duration of the continuing education programme?
The duration of the programme is six months.
When does the Certificate of Advanced Studies programme start?
This CAS starts next on the 23rd of May 2024. Register now or until the 22nd of April 2024.