Dr. Paola Pierri is Senior Researcher at Lucerne University of Applied Sciences and Arts (HSLU-Hochschule Luzern).
She has a doctorate in Design Anthropology from the London College of Communication and specialises in Anthropology of Technologies.
Her research interest focuses on the social impact of technologies on our societies: from exploring questions of inequalities and justice, to investigating the implications of emerging technologies for policy-making and for democracy more broadly (including modes of digital activism and participation).
Paola was previously Director of Research at Democratic Society where she led research on Digital and Democracy, exploring the social implications of digitalisation on democratic practices and researching innovative methodologies for civic participation in a ‘datafied’ society. She has been a Research Fellow at the Weizenbaum Institute, researching questions of Digital Inequalities and Digital Sovereignty.
Paola has teaching experience lecturing at London College of Communication, Technische Universität Berlin and at Polimi, in Milan.
She has published extensively in international journals and for international publishers.
Selection of Book Chapters:
- Pierri, P. (2023) Towards Participatory Transition Governance: The Role of Social Movements as "Collaborators" for Democratic Innovation in (Eds by) Bua, A and Bussu, S. ‘Reclaiming Participatory Governance. Social Movements and the Reinvention of Democratic Innovation’, Routledge
- Pierri, P. (2023) Digital Rights and Democracy: Towards a city-level Practice of Digital Sovereignty? In (Eds by) Cattaruzza, A. and Glasze, G. ‘Handbook on Geopolitics of Digital Sovereignty’. Elgar-Publisher
- Pierri, P. (2022), Sovereign imaginaries. How corporate digital imaginary are endangering our political practices, in (Eds by) Herlo, B.; Irrgangn, D.; Joost, G. and Unteidig, A. ‘Practicing Digital Sovereignty’, Transcript Verlag
Selection of Papers:
- Pierri, P. and Calderón Lu¨ning (2023 – forthcoming) A Democratic Approach to Digital Rights. Comparing perspectives on digital sovereignty on city level, in International Journal of Communication
- Fritzenkötter, J.; Hohoff, L.; Pierri, P.; Verhulst, S.; Young, A. and Zacharzewski, A. (2022) Governing the Environment-Related Data Space in SSRN Electronic Journal http://dx.doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.4250166
- Pierri, P. and Wiltshire, E. (2021) Cities and Citizens for Digital Rights: The Role for Public Participation in Digital Governance, in PND Rethinking Planning, 2, 29-44, DOI: 10.18154/RWTH-2021-10415
- Pierri, P. and Herlo, B. (2021) Exploring Digital Sovereignty: Open Question for Design in Health Technologies, Design for Health, 5:1, 161-175 https://doi.org/10.1080/24735132.2021.1928381
- Pierri, P. (2018) Participatory Design Practices in Mental Health in the UK: Rebutting the Optimism. Design Issues,. 34:4 . 25-36 https://doi.org/10.1162/desi_a_00509