IoT is the largest computing revolution that creates opportunities to transform businesses in a wide range of sectors from automotive to transport and logistics to the health industry. What is more, IoT is shaping people’s everyday lives: by enabling millions to billions of internet-enabled «things» capable of capturing data, IoT will have a transformative impact on the future of all humankind. Our vision is to harness the exponential market growth and attract many new players and give rise to new emerging IoT innovations, applications and services in areas as diverse as industrial IoT, edge computing, smart homes and buildings, healthcare, automotive industry, security, and next-generation wireless. Despite this growth and the encouraging new types of applications and services, many challenges remain to be addressed in the IoT domain.
IoT Systems and Software is a research and teaching collaboration of the Lucerne School of Computer Science and Information Technology in the area of IoT systems and software.
Research interests include the following areas:
- IoT systems architectures, design and implementation
- Programmable IoT end-to-end platforms (device – edge – cloud)
- IoT edge and cloud computing
- IoT networking and communication technologies
- Energy efficiency in IoT
- End-to-end security in IoT
- IoT data processing and analysis
- Internet IoT technologies, services and applications
The research projects are led by the research and teaching cooperation of the IoT Systems and Software research group in close collaboration with its industry partners. As part of its research activities, the IoT Systems and Software research group supervises Bachelor’s and Master’s theses in Computer Science at the Lucerne University of Applied Sciences and Arts (HSLU), as well as supporting scientists in their research careers by funding postdoc and senior researcher positions.
Our research is characterized by:
- Collaborative research – Research projects are carried out in teams, with input and contributions from people with backgrounds and interests in the IoT systems, software and technologies domain.
- Real systems – We place high value on building real systems and advancing state-of-the-art in the above research areas. Our goal is to deliver novel architecture designs and compelling research prototypes. The developed systems inspire technology transfers that either influence the companies’ roadmap and business strategies or are released as open source software.
- Industry and academia collaboration – Through close collaboration with industry and academic institutions, IoT Systems and Software research offers an unprecedented combination of industrial and academic research with opportunities to directly impact companies' products and services.
- Enabling tech transfer to industry and education – Research activities and university education are at the center of our activities: experts from industry, students and researchers come together to discuss ideas and projects, build relationships, and by opening up future collaborations to students, researchers and industry.