Who can apply for the exchange program?
Students interested in applying for an exchange semester have to be enrolled with a University that has a bilateral agreement with the Lucerne School of Engineering and Architecture.
The application process is as follows:
- Nomination by the International Office of the student's home institution by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org (deadline see Fact Sheet).
- Confirmation of receipt of the nomination by the Lucerne School of Engineering and Architecture. Nominated students receive the link to the online application tool by e-mail.
- Registration and application (submission of complete application documents) via online application tool (Mobility-Online tool) before the application deadline.
- Communication of decision approx. four weeks after the application deadline.
The following documents are required for the application / upload in the Mobility-Online tool:
- valid passport copy (copy must be clearly legible)
- digital passport photo
- letter of motivation
- Curriculum vitae / CV
- Current Transcript of Records with Grading Scheme
- Draft Learning Agreement (course offerings for exchange students)
- Language certificate (English / German if not native language)
- Portfolio (only for Architecture or Interior Design)
- Fall semester: April 15
- Spring semester: October 15
Students from institutions without an existing bilateral agreement with the Lucerne School of Engineering and Architecture can apply directly to the International Office of the Lucerne School of Engineering and Architecture. A nomination is not necessary for these students, i.e. the decision on the acceptance of the application is made on the basis of the submitted documents (via online application tool).
Swiss-European Mobility Programme
Student exchanges with our European partner universities are supported within the ‘Swiss-European Mobility Programme (SEMP)’ (see Movetia website). Incoming students receive SEMP grants for their exchange semester (subject to sufficient funding). Grants are processed via the Mobility-Online tool. No additional registration is required.
At the Lucerne University of Applied Sciences and Arts, Introductory weeks
are held two weeks before the start of each semester.
Buddy Programme / Student Life
Exchange students can register for the Buddy Programme organised by ESN Lucerne
. Incoming Exchange students have the opportunity to get in touch with local students before and during their stay and benefit from useful tips on student life at the Lucerne University of Applied Sciences and Arts.
Visa and residence permit
Students from countries requiring a visa must apply for a study visa (type D) at the Swiss embassy in their home country at least three months before entering Switzerland. For further information see: Visa and residence permit for students
In Lucerne, affordable rooms and flats are in high demand. The Lucerne University of Applied Sciences and Arts offers accommodation for students
. Exchange students can register for accommodation via the Mobility-Online tool after a positive admission decision.
Any person staying in Switzerland for more than 3 months is subject to compulsory health insurance. International students must be covered by health insurance recognised by Swiss law for their exchange semester in Switzerland. For further information see: Insurances